The historical perspective for The International Short Break Conference
The first International Short Break Conference was held in the Canadian city of Thunder Bay, Ontario in 1995, on the initiative of the Respite Care organisation Wesway.
This initiative was taken in an effort to create an international network and an international exchange of knowledge and working practices, with the focus on Short Break Care for the disabled and their families.
The central theme of the conference was "Best Practices In Caring."
The following conferences were held:
- 1999: 2nd international short break conference, Canterbury, England
- 2001: 3rd international short break conference, Sydney, Australia
- 2003: 4th international short break conference, Orlando, Florida, U.S.A.
- 2006: 5th international short break conference , Paris, France . "Take care of the Caregivers"
- 2008: 6th international short break conference, Copenhagen, Denmark. "Unconditional Family Focus - meeting the needs of disabled children, adults and families."
The initiative to establish the International Short Break Association (ISBA) was taken by the planning commitee of the 5th International Short Break Conference in Paris 2006.
ISBA was formally established on the 29th september 2006 in conjunction with a dinner cruise arrangement on the river Seine.
June 9th - 11th 2010, ISBA hosts the 7th International Short Break Conference in Galway, Ireland. "Short Breaks: A Path to Inclustion - Whose Needs? Whos Rights? What Choices?"